Dales Local Attractions
Lavender Cottage and Dales Cottage are situated in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Lavender Cottage lies on the 2014 Tour de France cycle route and Dales Cottage is on the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire cycle route, both being only a ten minutes drive from the bustling market town of Skipton and less than a mile from the charming and lively village of Grassington.
Grassington is noted as one of the best loved villages in the Yorkshire Dales and is very popular for walkers, anglers, cyclists, rock climbers, pot holers, golfers and those just wanting a day out in the countryside. Grassington also hosts a wide variety of events throughout the year including Grassington Music & Arts Festival, Dickensian Festival, and a 40’s weekend.
A few ideas of things to do
- Catch a fish at Kilnsey Trout Farm, www.kilnseyestate.co.uk
- Enjoy a swim, sauna and relax in the hot tub at Long Ashes Leisure Centre, www.longashespark.co.uk
- Visit the ruins at Bolton Abbey, www.boltonabbey.com
- Take the children for a play and an ice cream at Yorkshire Dales Ice Cream Parlour, www.yorkshiredalesicecream.co.uk
- Go down a hole at Stump Cross Caverns, www.stumpcrosscaverns.co.uk
- Ride a horse at Kilnsey Trekking Centre, www.kilnseyriding.com
- Have a day out with the kids at Hesketh Farm Park, www.heskethfarmpark.co.uk
- Go cycling on the famous Tour de France route
- Take a trip on a steam train at Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway,
- Enjoy a tour round Skipton Castle, www.skiptoncastle.co.uk
- Go wild swimming in the Wharfe
- Climb a hill and enjoy the view
- As well as the above, the historic properties of Fountains Abbey, Harewood House and Newby Hall are all within easy reach and the elegant spa towns of Harrogate (30 miles) and Ilkley (20 miles) offer excellent shopping, cafes and restaurants.
PLACES TO EAT
There is a large selection of places to eat around the area, a few of which are listed below. Copies of menus are available in the cottage.
- The Fountaine Inn, Linton, www.fountaineinnatlinton.co.uk
- The Old Hall, Threshfield, www.oldhallinnandcottages.co.uk
- The Angel Inn, Hetton, www.angelhetton.co.uk
- The Tennants Arms, Kilnsey, tennantsarms.co.uk
- The Forresters, Grassington, www.forrestersarms.com
- Grassington House, Grassington, www.grassingtonhousehotel.co.uk
- The Red Lion, Burnsall, www.redlion.co.uk
- The Clarendon, Hebden, www.clarendonhebden.co.uk
- The Gamekeepers, Long Ashes, Threshfield, www.gamekeeperinn.co.uk